July 26, 2010
One day I stumble upon a little green English-looking building stashed between the houses on a street in Second Style Island™, that gives me an RL flashback of Noella™ art gallery in the backstreets of London behind Tate Museum™. In this little green house of Second Life™ you find the gallery SMUDGE™.
Little green house at Second Style Island
In the comfy chair between the Northern Lights and Wheet I look at the smudged canvas on the walls and start to realize the reason for the name of this gallery.
Myndi Meredith, the artist and gallery owner of Smudge, confirms to me that she loves to smudge colours. She relaes with this in her own time when not working her full time job or when her little son needs her. She does this digitally now since canvas, easel, colour palettes, and so, is not practical at her RL home any more because she has a little one year old son now.
Blogger Liza Veliz
I met her at the Grand Opening Event for Smudge on the 18th of July at FIERCE™ Nightclub in Dominion Estates™. Her PR person and good friend Anden Tolsen was also there.
In a BOSL™ radio interview that same morning Myndi said Anden was also the reason she even started the gallery. She just showed him some paintings she was making while dancing at Fierce when he asked her why she was so quiet and he suggested she should sell them.
Anden Tolsen even gave her the gallery at Second Style island as a surprise gift. That is the reason there are two Smudge galleries now.
The other one is at Shopatorium @ Gallinas
Here the building is also very special from the others. Its like a piece of candy with the stonewalls of red decorated with a pink framed window and glittery coloured stars hanging in the ceiling and with the sign of the shop glowing in its Pink. Inside there is no comfy chairs but a comfy carpet instead. It is smooth to lay there in its depth of wool and check the smudged paintings on the walls, guessing what they are about. A bit like laying in grass checking clouds actually.
There is Good and Evil licking at each other in one and a blue flower possibly inspired of the 80´s digital artwork, there is a sun on an easel and the pink painting called smudge and so many more.
Oh, the party? It was great! DJ Atreyu Witrial delivered the music and lots of press people and art gallery owners came, and of course the citizens of Dominion Estates. Lots of lovely people that made me think of some SL friends I really miss since their clubs shut down and they moved on and I really haven´t had the time to find them again. The jokes jangled like shingles in the air and all were smiling and having a great time. The atmosphere was awesome!
The gift for everyone contained two paintings by Myndi Meredith.
Moolto was sponsoring the event by advertising this, and FIERCE sponsored by building it and holding the party.
Me, Anden and Myndi met after the party at a couch upstairs.
There Anden Tolsen tells me his reason for helping Myndi out.
- She is a very close friend of mine and I believe in Smudge.
Myndi tells me her dreams while Anden is listening to the BOSL interview during our meeting.
- My hopes are for *SMUDGE* to grow and grow and grow! The more painting I can get out there, the more tastes I can provide... the more money I can make, the less time I have to be away from my son! And THAT will put a smile on MY face :)
She doesn´t do galleries in RL.
- I haven´t found one yet that provides a FUN environment. I think when you look at art, it should be an all around experience... the smells should be right, and the music should be right. I don´t go to gallerys in RL... its all that stuffy elevator music. *Bringing *SMUDGE* into RL would be the ultimate :)
- I hope to bring smiles to peoples faces! There is so much ugly in this world.. people sick, dying, sadness. I just want to make people escape from that :)
Myndi has her painting for a hobby and never released her art in RL, and she did not go to an art school. She just loves to smudge nice colours and let her inner move the hand. And she makes pictures of things like Northern Lights as they feel to her. It looks like a bright star shooting in different colours to me. But she tries to capture it from what she sees and knows. She explained this to me but I was actually curious about another one. The one you see in my photo with three thick shades of different colour on black background. She tells me...
- ah that...it is just random, that is a genuine *SMUDGE*. I just grabbed colour and smudged it! haha it´s genuine smudging.
You may already know Myndi Meredith from her stylist company Meredith Interiors™ or maybe by the fashion blog she writes together with Stephberry Delling, The Facetious SL Blog™
- I'm thinking about starting a new one, strictly for *SMUDGE* but my fashion blog is already syndicated... so I may just keep blogging my new releases along with clothing looks :)